Re: Relicensing Emacs to GPLv3

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Relicensing Emacs to GPLv3
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 21:34:24 -0400

Richard Stallman wrote:

> [I sent this message a few weeks ago but did not get a response.
> Could we get the discussion moving again?]

I've been on holiday and it seems no-one else wished to reply.

> Can you tell me the specific file names of one or two of these images,
> and where they come from in GNOME?
>
> I don't need a complete list, just a couple of examples, fully
> described.

It wasn't me who identified the license for the gnome icons initially.
Indeed, I can't find a clear statement about the copyright and license
for the gnome icons anywhere.

Emacs contains some icons taken from "gnome-icon-theme". Some specific
examples (as described in our etc/images/README file):

Emacs icon                gnome-icon-theme source
etc/images/attach         document/stock_attach
etc/images/delete         generic/stock_delete
etc/images/lock           data/stock_lock

The gnome-icon-theme source can be downloaded from

http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/gnome-icon-theme/

The tarballs contain a copy of GPLv2, but I cannot see an actual
copyright statement or a note about which version(s) of the license
apply anywhere in the source. Nor can I find this information in the
gnome VC repository. So basically, I have no idea what the copyright
for gnome icons is.

On a Debian system, /usr/share/doc/gnome-icon-theme/copyright says
that the license is "version 2" (no "or later"). This is the only
information I can find as to what the actual gnome icons license is.