mode-line under vc

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: mode-line under vc
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 11:49:42 +1200

I generally like the changes to the mode-line for files under version control
but have a few suggestions:

1) "Edited file" sounds a bit ambiguous to me, like maybe I haven't saved my
   changes. "Locally Modified" is what CVS uses with "cvs status", and this
   seems clearer to me.

2) Do we really need to explain that "CVS" in the mode-line means
  "under the CVS version control system" in the help-echo?  It's kind of
  long and seems a bit repetitive, unlike explaining the difference between
  ":" and "-" which _is_ obscure.

3) Its not clear what VC is in "mouse-1: VC Menu".  Replacing it with
 "mouse-1: version control" would be self-explanatory and help compensate for
  the proposed change in 2).

With these changes I also think the help-echo would fit well on one line.