Re: sh.exe needed to bootstrap on Windows?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: sh.exe needed to bootstrap on Windows?
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:26:52 -0400

> Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 08:56:17 +0100
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> Cc: Juanma Barranquero <address@hidden>,
>       Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > I think the problem happens because of this change:
> >
> >     2007-07-16  Dan Nicolaescu  <address@hidden>
> >
> >         * vc-hooks.el (vc-handled-backends): Move BZR later in the list.
> >
> > Dan, can you explain why this change was made?
> >

> Why would reordering a list inside a defcustom, or updating the :version
> property of that defcustom (which I don't think should have been done,
> unless the previous :version property was a mistake) cause the shell to
> be invoked when byte compiling?

Sorry, that was my bad jumping to wrong conclusions: I somehow was
under the impression that BZR support was here for quite some time,
and that therefore its original inclusion could not be the reason for
the problem.  But then I saw that it was added only 4 days ago, so
it's much more probable that no one bootstrapped on Windows since
then, until now.

Btw, I'm happy that my fix seems to work, but I'd be much more happy
if I understood why Emacs looked for (and didn't find) sh.exe on
Juanma's machine, and why mapcar in vc-registered winds up trying BZR
when it should have payed attention to the CVS/ subdirectory and bail
out of the loop before it gets to BZR.  Also, Dan seemed to be
surprised why BZR is at all called.

So there's still some mystery surrounding this problem.