Re: Saving the selection before killing

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Saving the selection before killing
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:28:52 +0200

David Kastrup skrev:

But if one is running more than one Emacs instance (and I don't know
under which circumstances Emacs might offer _itself_ a selection),
then we _have_ the same porential for large selections flying around.

If Emacs requests the selection it does not know that the program offering the selection is another instance of Emacs. So different instances of Emacs behaves just like one instance of Emacs and several X programs w.r.t. selections.

The question is how much slowdown this feature adds when there is no
selection.

Uh, why?  Can we rule out that there are large selections?

Oh, no we can't and should not.

        Jan D.