Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:11:42 -0400

    - automatically saving *scratch* in a place other than ~/ (where it
    is out of the way)
       via auto-save and before exiting Emacs, without any user interaction

That is a good idea, but remember that Emacs needs to create the directory
if it doesn't exist.  So just setting auto-save-file-name isn't quite enough.

    - automatically restoring *scratch* from that file upon startup (i.e.
    making it persistent)

That could be good, but there should be a message saying
"Type M-x erase-buffer to clear this out."

    - not offering to save it anywhere else

Sure.

    Can we implement this as a minor mode, which could be used for other
    buffers as well? That way, users could define further persistent
    buffers that would exist across Emacs sessions. I'd find that useful.

That sounds good.