Re: address@hidden: strange Emacs 22.1 failure due to utf-8-compose-scri

From: Joe Wells
Subject: Re: address@hidden: strange Emacs 22.1 failure due to utf-8-compose-scripts when --no-window-system used]
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 16:27:13 +0100

Joe Wells <address@hidden> writes:

> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

>>> That sounds like good news.
>>
>>> Am I correct in assuming others _can_ reproduce the problem with the
>>> official Emacs 22.1 release?
>>
>> No.  I've just tried with the released version of Emacs
>> 22.1, but I couldn't reproduce it.
>
> Can _anyone_ else reproduce the bug?
>
> If you have the bug, then the following invocation of Emacs 22.1 will
> raise a recursive load error:
>
>   export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
>   emacs --no-window-system --quick --eval '(setq utf-8-compose-scripts t)'
> --load "lao-util"

I have reverified the bug.  I tested in a dummy account to make sure
none of my account settings affected things.  I have also verified
that I get the bug when using the console (no X windows).

Here are some more details on my configuration.  I am using
Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (“Dapper Drake”) with all packages fully updated.
Everything I am using is standard Ubuntu except for my kernel and
Emacs.  I am using a custom Linux kernel version 2.6.17 (this version
was fairly current a year ago) with a few extra patches applied by my
hardware middleman.  As I reported in my original report, I built
Emacs with these options:

  export CFLAGS='-O0 -g3 -ggdb'
  ./configure --prefix=$HOME/local2 --enable-debug --disable-nls
--with-x-toolkit=gtk

I suppose that the “--disable-nls” or “--with-x-toolkit=gtk” options
might contribute to the bug.

I hope this is information helps others to reproduce the bug.

--
Joe