Re: ps-print-color-p and the background colour of Emacs' frame

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: ps-print-color-p and the background colour of Emacs' frame
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:31:55 -0300

Hi Christian,

Sorry for this delay, I'm very short in time now.

I've just updated Emacs CVS trunk and EMACS 23, but not EMACS 22 BRANCH (should I?).

Could you, please, test it again in your environment?

Thanks for your report,

Vinicius

PS: I fixed the problems below and also set ps-default-fg and ps-default-bg to nil, so the default colors are black for foreground and white for background.

Christian Schlauer wrote:
Observed with Emacs 22.1:

- emacs -q --no-site-file

- M-x set-background-color RET LightSkyBlue RET

- C-u M-x ps-print-buffer-with-faces RET RET

If I open that file with a PostScript viewer (Evince in Ubuntu 7.04),
there is no background colour in the text area. If I now *repeat*

- C-u M-x ps-print-buffer-with-faces RET RET

and open the file again, you'll see that the background of the text
area is in the colour LightSkyBlue, too.

===> Why *isn't* the background colour in the file when it is saved
     for the first time? Bug?

Now do

- M-x set-variable RET ps-print-color-p RET nil RET

- C-u M-x ps-print-buffer-with-faces RET RET

Open the file: background is blue, but text is black. Now simply repeat

- C-u M-x ps-print-buffer-with-faces RET RET

Open the file: background is white, text is black.

===> Why *is* the background colour in the file when it is saved for
     the *first* time? It shouldn't, see the description of
     ps-default-bg below. Bug?

Now do

- M-x set-variable RET ps-print-color-p RET black-white RET

- C-u M-x ps-print-buffer-with-faces RET RET

Open the file: background is white, text is black and italic, as
expected. Now simply repeat

- C-u M-x ps-print-buffer-with-faces RET RET

Open the file: background is blue -- WHY?

===> Why *is* the background colour in the file when it is saved for
     the second time? Bug?

,----[ C-h v ps-default-bg RET ]

[...]

| The `ps-default-bg' variable contains the default background color
| used by ps-print, that is, if there is a face in a text that doesn't
| have a background color, the `ps-default-bg' color should be used.

[...]

`----