RE: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2007 14:01:33 -0700

>       >> Since Emacs can do everything then the splash screen
>     >> could contain links
>       >> to the most common initial actions, e.g.:
>       >>
>       >> [Visit home directory]
>       >> [Open new file]
>       >> [Open buffer for notes you don't want to save]
>       >> [Emacs Tutorial]
>       >> [Emacs FAQ]
>       >> [Read the Emacs Manual]
>
> Would someone please try implementing this?  They we can see
> what it is like.

How about adding a link at the end: [Customize Startup Screen]?

If you choose this link, you customize `visit-on-startup'. The default value
of `visit-on-startup' could be nil, which means the splash screen (with the
links).

That way, you get the splash screen with the links, by default, and one of
the links lets you set your startup preference. No need to hunt for a way to
customize the startup screen.