Re: Moving homebrewn binaries and question about building documentation

From: Eric Lilja
Subject: Re: Moving homebrewn binaries and question about building documentation
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 18:25:30 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Eric Lilja <address@hidden>
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:56:00 +0200

As you can see I had a trailing / in my INSTALL_DIR so install tries to copy like this (just pasting one example):
cp -f oo-spd/i386/etags.exe c:/emacs//bin
Notice the double forward slash. It didn't seem to affect copying, though, and I will simply remove the trailing slash from INSTALL_DIR in my script (I thought it would check for a trailing slash and add one if there wasn't one but it seems it adds one regardless).

This is not a problem, as you've found out, but it's better to not
have a trailing slash in INSTALL_DIR.

I hear you. I have fixed my script in this regard and added a comment
about it should I forget it.

Also, I still have many CVS directories in the subdirectories.

Only in etc/ and leim/.  The Unix "make install" removes them after
copying (see the `install:' target in the top-level Makefile.in), but
the Windows build does not want to rely on the utilities required for
that.  If you have them, you can remove those after "make install"
finishes.

And info as well, anyway, what I wanted to do was not to nitpick but ask you if you know of a clever way I can remove these directories from inside my script? It's a bash script run under cygwin bash. I'm not really a unix person, so I don't know what I'm talking about here, but maybe something involving find and rm? If I can get rid of my standalone application for removing these directories and incorporate its functionality in my cvs build script, that would be nice.

I also noticed two empty top-level directories named lock and data, respectively. These are not present in the official emacs 22.1 windows binary package. Comments?

These are created by two explicit lines in nt/makefile, but I don't
know why.  Anybody?

I will leave them untouched for now, but if they are not needed it would be nice if they were not created, of course.

You're a great asset, Eli! Thanks!

- Eric