Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 19:13:23 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

> Since Emacs can do everything then the splash screen could contain links
> to the most common initial actions, e.g.:
>
> [Visit home directory]
> [Open new file]
> [Open buffer for notes you don't want to save]
> [Emacs Tutorial]
> [Emacs FAQ]
> [Read the Emacs Manual]

This is a mighty good idea!

Thinking in beginner scenarios it might be better to change the
sequence to

 [Open new file]
 [Visit home directory]

with :point on the first entry, a dired view could overwhelm some at
first, especially from the Windows world.  And when clicking the links
with the mouse--instead of a keyboard activation--the links reacting
in the same manner as if activating the commands from the menu-bar
i.e. with pop-up dialogs etc.

And, what others pointed out, an inclusion of a link to the splash
buffer customisation.  Perfect, I have to say!

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany