Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 17:46:30 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > We should use the startup screen group for that with the same
>> > interface as Emacs/Options/Browse Customization groups.  In that
>> > manner, people get kicked into using the customize browser right from
>> > the start.
>>
>> To clarify: the link [Customize Startup Screen] should enter the
>> customize browser in the right customization group.
>
> Thanks for the clarification; I understood something different from your
> first post.
>
> Even so, I'm not too sure what you mean.

`Raised' text indicates buttons; type RET or click mouse-1
on a button to invoke its action.
Invoke [+] to expand a group, and [-] to collapse an expanded group.
Invoke the [Group], [Face], and [Option] buttons below to edit that
item in another window.

[-]-\ Group Emacs
   [+]-- Group Editing
   [+]-- Group External
   [+]-- Group Convenience
   [+]-- Group Programming
   [+]-- Group Applications
   [-]-\ Group Development
    | [+]-- Group Processes
    | [+]-- Group Lisp
    | [+]-- Group Docs
    | [+]-- Group Extensions
    | [-]-\ Group Internal
    |  | [-]-\ Group Initialization
    |  |  |  |--- Option Inhibit Splash Screen
    |  |  |  |--- Option Inhibit Startup Echo Area Message
    |  |  |  |--- Option Inhibit Default Init
    |  |  |  |--- Option Inhibit Startup Buffer Menu
    |  |  |  |--- Option Initial Major Mode
    |  |  |  |--- Option Site Run File
    |  |  |  |--- Option Initial Scratch Message
    |  |  | [+]-- Group Fancy Splash Screen
    |  |  |--- Option Default Major Mode
    |  | [+]-- Group Storage Allocation
    |  | [+]-- Group Limits
    |  | [+]-- Group Columns
    | [+]-- Group Maintenance
    | [+]-- Group Debug
   [+]-- Group Environment
   [+]-- Group Data
   [+]-- Group Files
   [+]-- Group Wp
   [+]-- Group Faces
   [+]-- Group Hypermedia
   [+]-- Group Help
   [+]-- Group Multimedia
   [+]-- Group Local
   [+]-- Group PostScript

Cursor on the "Option Inhibit Splash Screen".  Anyway, whose idea of a
cruel joke was the hierarchy
"Emacs/Development/Internal/Initialization"?  I browsed for 15 minutes
before giving up and looking directly in the dialog for the variable
(the name of which I remembered) and then stepped upwards through the
parent groups.

I mean, Emacs/Development/Internal/Initialization?!?
EMACS/DEVELOPMENT/INTERNAL/INITIALIZATION?!?

For the splash screen?

For now, I withdraw my proposal.  It would be _far_ too embarrassing
to show off _that_.