Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:24:19 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> 2. Instead of [Visit *scratch* Buffer], it should say [Visit Scratch Lisp
> Buffer].
>

> 3. We should get rid of the descriptions next to the links. "Visit new file"
> is wrong, anyway; "Create New File" is better on its own. "Visit home
> directory" adds nothing. "Scratch" implies not automatically saving - think
> of scratch pad and scratch paper.
>
> If we must have descriptions next to the links, then use this for *scratch*:
> "Visit buffer *scratch* for Lisp interaction that is not saved
> automatically".
>

> 4. Instead of [Visit home directory], it should say [Visit directory]. Which
> directory to visit should be customizable, with `~/' as the default value.
> Add an option `splash-screen-directory-to-visit' to custom group
> `fancy-splash-screen'.

I consider all of those proposals a change for the worse for a
beginner, and the splash screen is a tool dedicated to the beginner.
If you really must have a customizable splash screen, then it makes
sense to make the _whole_ list a single customizable list, with
several preselectable functions and parameters and texts which one can
replace.

But the default text should _not_ try to take into account that people
might want to mangle the function without having to mangle the button
inscriptions.