Re: mode-line with Tramp

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: mode-line with Tramp
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 22:04:06 +0300

> Like Juri, I think the reality is that very few will test it.  This might
> not be the best solution but something needs to be done.  Committing such
> changes to the trunk ensures that they _are_ tested and if people don't
> like them they generally report to the mailing list, e.g., "scratch buffer
> annoyances".  I try out very few changes that aren't committed to the
> repository but often comment on those that are.  I think many others on this
> list do the same.

I rarely try out not installed changed too, but now I tried out your patch
and generally I like it.

First I want to note that adding R for Remote doesn't make the mode line
more confusing than it can be already in some extreme cases. For instance,
after renaming the current frame to "R" and using the KOI8-R language
environment (with "R" indication in three slots) we get:

-RRR:%%--R

When the directory is remote then we get:

-RRR:%%R-R

Maybe it would be better to use "@" instead of "R" to indicate the remote
directory?

-RRR:address@hidden

"@" is less likely as the frame name, and "@" has good mnemonic as
a symbol often used in addresses of remote directories.

Also another question: is it possible not to show useless placeholder "-"
when the directory is not remote?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/