Re: suggestion for C-s (isearch-.*) key-bindings

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: suggestion for C-s (isearch-.*) key-bindings
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 03:35:00 +0200

Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

>> marking or killing or motion types

(I would also choose the motion keys, they seem to be the most
natural.  The marking commands are more costly to type and the killing
commands can be better used: Sometimes I pinpoint a region with C-s
and then wants to kill or save immediately the region without the need
to end isearch with RET.)

> With a new key these key sequences could be
>
> M-s C-f   - yank char to the search string
> M-s M-f   - yank word to the search string
> M-s C-e   - yank line to the search string
> M-s C-M-f - yank sexp to the search string

Why do you prefer a special key combo beforehand the motion commands?
I, personally, am very happy with the current 'isearch mode' which
changes the meaning of some key-bindings.  (Vi's modal philosophy in
Emacs by stealth!).  And it makes sense, they are normally exclusive:
Either I want to move point by motion commands or I want to move by
searching commands, I don't see yet the rub.

>> 2.) M-y -> C-y

The M-y -> C-y would be good, wouldn't it?

>> By the way, C-M-w is in fact unnecessary since backspace is doing the
>> job already.
>
> backspace deletes the last isearch input (which can be a yanked word, line
> etc.), and not the character from the search string.

Thanks for pointing out my preconception.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany