Re: Saving the selection before killing

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Saving the selection before killing
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:49:09 -0400

    If I interract with another program before I change to Emacs and do C-y,
I'd
    say close to 100%.

If that's true for most users, this proposed feature is likely to be
inconvenient.  It will be pulling in lots of selections from other
apps.

The point is to have a way to pull in the selection from some other
program even after you've done a kill command in Emacs.  This way
seems not to be a good idea, so what else can we suggest?

We could create a special command that says "yank the selection".
That would require remembering something special.  Is there any other
natural combination that doesn't currently make sense?

Here's an idea.  M-y after a command that isn't a yank
could grab the selection from other programs.  Or maybe C-u M-y,
which would be less likely to be typed by accident.