Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Sat, 21 Jul 2007 21:49:52 -0400

    1. Open to the *Customize Browser* buffer.  I think you're proposing this.

    2. Open to the *Customize Group* buffer (say *Customize Group:
    convenience*).

    3. Open to the *Customize Option: visit-on-startup* buffer.

#3 sounds too specific.  Yes, it would enable someone to turn
off the splash screen, but it wouldn't show that there are other
possibilities.

I think #2 is best.  It avoids unnecessary indirection while showing
more than just one option.

    Whenever the
    user asks to customize a single option, should we just open the browser to a
    browser display that shows that option or its group somewhere on it

That's a different issue.  When the user specifically asks to customize
one option, we should provide that option.  But here the user
would be asking to "customize the startup screen".  That is NOT
a request for one option.