Re: mode-line with Tramp

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: mode-line with Tramp
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:47:22 +0300

>  > Maybe it would be better to use "@" instead of "R" to indicate the remote
>  > directory?
>  >
>  > -RRR:address@hidden
>
> Yes "R" is only meaningful to an English speaker, "@" is more international.
>
>  > "@" is less likely as the frame name, and "@" has good mnemonic as
>  > a symbol often used in addresses of remote directories.
>  >
>  > Also another question: is it possible not to show useless placeholder "-"
>  > when the directory is not remote?
>
> When the directory is not remote, placing the pointer over the hyphen displays
> the value of the default-directory.  It does look a bit distracting but
> perhaps
> that's because I'm not used to it.  If people prefer, I could remove it.

Hmm, I sometimes access remote directories using Emacs on a terminal
where placing the mouse pointer over the hyphen doesn't work, so I can't
see the host name which is even more important to know than default-directory.

Maybe a better variant would be to display a string "@hostname.tld" on the
mode line?  For instance, to display it after the buffer file name like
"address@hidden"?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/