Re: suggestion for C-s (isearch-.*) key-bindings

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: suggestion for C-s (isearch-.*) key-bindings
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:45:56 +0300

>> M-s C-f   - yank char to the search string
>> M-s M-f   - yank word to the search string
>> M-s C-e   - yank line to the search string
>> M-s C-M-f - yank sexp to the search string
>
> Why do you prefer a special key combo beforehand the motion commands?
> I, personally, am very happy with the current 'isearch mode' which
> changes the meaning of some key-bindings.  (Vi's modal philosophy in
> Emacs by stealth!).  And it makes sense, they are normally exclusive:
> Either I want to move point by motion commands or I want to move by
> searching commands, I don't see yet the rub.

Unfortunately, there are too little keys that are not useful to exit
isearch and be applied to the buffer where the search was exited.
So it is hard to find a suitable key for the search type you proposed -
to yank sexp to the search string.  A special prefix key allows more keys
to extend isearch functionality.

>>> 2.) M-y -> C-y
>
> The M-y -> C-y would be good, wouldn't it?

This is not a backward compatible change :(

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/