Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 00:28:50 -0400

      This requires some related modifications: the startup
    screen should be static because when the user want to clink on a link, it
    shouldn't disappear just before clicking on it when it happens to be at
    the same time as to show the next splash screen.  This would be annoying.

I agree.  However, part of the reason why there are two fancy splash
screens is to present more information than will fit comfortably in
one.  If we don't use the current solution (switching between two
splash screens), we need another solution.

    Another necessary change is to allow point movements commands in the
    startup splash screen to be able to move point to the link and type RET to
    activate it.  Currently, any key causes the splash screen to exit, and this
    key is applied to the underlying buffer.

Obviously part of this change is that that won't happen any more.

    The following patch adds a keymap common to the startup splash screen and
    the About screen with keys `q' and SPC to quit from them.

I don't understand -- what does it mean to "quit" from the splash
screen?

    This patch doesn't contain more necessary changes because including them
    in one patch would create a mess.  A separate patch later will add more
    links to the startup screen and to normal-splash-screen, revert changes to
    save *scratch* buffer, and add a new option `visit-on-startup'.

In this one case, I think we want to see all the patches put together.
The reason is that I am not ready, now, to decide to take this route.
I might choose it once I see it in its mature form.

In other words, it is needful to develop the mature form and present
the combined patch.