Re: remove dabbrev--scanning-message?

From: Sean O'Rourke
Subject: Re: remove dabbrev--scanning-message?
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 15:58:56 -0700

> For me, it takes 7 seconds or so with the messages, and 5 seconds with
> no messages.  I think I would rather have the messages.

Ouch.  For me it's 0.5 or 1 second with messages, and nearly
imperceptible without, making dabbrev-expand convenient for
completing long words while typing text.  It sounds like this
feature is almost completely useless to you now.

> Do you have a lot of small buffers?

I currently have 76 buffers taking 7864231 bytes, but about 6M of
that is an enormous *info* buffer, so the median is 3278 bytes.
I'm not sure what people think of as "small".

Given that people do see substantial delays, it seems like the
best approach would be:

    (1) Replace the messages with a progress-reporter (assuming
        it's faster), since the filenames probably go by too fast to
        read anyways.
    (2) Provide a user option `dabbrev-report-progress', true by
        default, to enable/disable this feedback.

/s