Re: "(setq grep-find-command ...)" broken, no documented replacement

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: "(setq grep-find-command ...)" broken, no documented replacement
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:53:50 +0200

Bob Rogers <address@hidden> writes:

>    Maybe it could be extended for different default customizations on
>    different hosts, but I don't know whether such fine granular settings
>    are needed.
>
> Then I don't understand what you are trying to accomplish.  What is the
> point of recording grep-* settings for different hosts if they cannot be
> customized differently?  Wouldn't they all have the same values?

`grep-compute-defaults' returns different results for variables like
`grep-command'. In my use case, it is either "grep -nH -e " or "grep
-n -e ", depending on the host.

What I have in mind is to reuse the different values of `grep-command'
in `grep-find-template'. Currently, one can only expand <D>, <X>, <F>,
<C> and <R>.

>    Again, it would really help to see some documentation on how all of
> this is supposed to work . . .

Agreed.

>                                       -- Bob

Best regards, Michael.