RE: highlight failed part of isearch input

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: highlight failed part of isearch input
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:25:56 -0700

>     I like this proposal but there is a problem in the patch:
>
>         (when (string-match " +$" m)
>            (propertize (substring m (match-beginning 0)) 'face
>                      'trailing-whitespace))
>
>     This is a no-op.
>
> Yes, if it is used for effect.

There was no effect. Maybe that's what you meant; I'm not sure.

That code was a mistake. The intention was to change the face in the string
`m', not in a copy. For instance, `put-text-property' could have been used
instead of `propertize'.

>                     But maybe it is good to remove this code because the
>     failed trailing whitespace is highlighted in the new face
>     isearch-failed.
>
> I don't entirely understand.  What change are you proposing?

I think Juri meant that instead of using two different faces, one for
general failure and one for trailing whitespace, the former is enough
(trailing whitespace is subsumed by search failure).