Re: Relicensing the Emacs repository

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Relicensing the Emacs repository
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:11:57 -0400

    oldXMenu/insque.c

We wrote that specifically for Emacs, so definitely relicense that.

    src/regex.c ? part of emacs?
    src/regex.h

That forked version is only in Emacs, so definitely relicense that.

    These look like parts of glibc, mainly:
    rc/getloadavg.c
    src/gmalloc.c
    src/md5.c  ? "part of emacs?"
    src/md5.h
    src/mktime.c
    src/strftime.c
    src/termcap.c  ? part of emacs?
    src/tparam.c   ? part of emacs?

    config.guess
    config.sub

Those are probably Gnulib files.  For now, you may as
well leave them alone.  We may copy them from Gnulib again.

    > 2. I updated the files that are joint copyright FSF and AIST, or
    >    copyright AIST alone (eg lisp/composite.el). These are all marked
    >    as part of Emacs. This includes files in leim, leim/quail, lisp,
    >    lisp/language, lisp/international, src.

That was the right thing to do.  Anyone can update them to GPLv3+.

    > 5. lwlib/ - I left alone.
    >    Files originally in Lucid Widget Library remain under GPL v1 or
    >    later, or v2 or later.

We may as well leave this alone, since we are never going to change it
much.

       These two seem confusing to me:
       etc/vipcard.tex
       etc/viperCard.tex
       They contain simple licenses which seem fine, but also refer to the
       "GNU Emacs GPL". I suggest just changing these two to the standard
       Emacs license text.

Would you like to do that?

    8. Some non-Emacs icons remain under GPLv2 (no "or later"). See:
    etc/images/gnus/README
    etc/images/mail/README
    etc/images/README
    nt/icons/README

Earlier you said that the license info was not clear for some of the
icons.  Yesterday I sent you the response from GNOME developers.
What do these files say in their text properties?