Re: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 16:41:13 +0100

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
> I think I understand. But you have to consider that as soon as we
> provide a localization framework we offer the possibility to have
> something else but English as the default.

I think it is a bad idea to mix default languages. The default will be
used as a fallback, so it should be English where possible, as that is
the most widely understood language in the world today.

If a developer does not speak English, they could use Portuguese for the
doc strings originally, but as soon as English translations are
available, they should become the default, and the Portuguese moved out
to whatever translation format we end up with.