Re: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 00:49:15 +0900

On 27 juil. 07, at 00:41, Jason Rumney wrote:

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:
I think I understand. But you have to consider that as soon as we
provide a localization framework we offer the possibility to have
something else but English as the default.

I think it is a bad idea to mix default languages. The default will be
used as a fallback, so it should be English where possible, as that is
the most widely understood language in the world today.

Obviously English will be the default for English speaking communities, Portuguese for Portuguese speaking communities.

Besides, English is not the most widely understood language in the world today. And maybe emacs-dev is not the right place to make such assumptions anyway. Obviously we have a very strong English speaking community here...

If a developer does not speak English, they could use Portuguese for the
doc strings originally, but as soon as English translations are
available, they should become the default, and the Portuguese moved out
to whatever translation format we end up with.

Obviously this is a fundamental mistake in the design as I wrote earlier: if Portuguese developers want to modify the code they originally wrote they'd need to refer to a different file to find their original comments.

Also, a Lebanese developer who reads French would rather have French as the default than any dialect of English.

Either localization is agnostic (ie it considers all languages technically equal) or it is flawed.

Jean-Christophe Helary