Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:24:56 +0100

On 27 Jul 2007, at 06:44, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Of course, the docstrings within the Emacs distribution would most likely all be English, but authors of third party packages could use any language
they like, just as they can do now.

Technically yes. But it would make sense to design the system to suggest English comments as a minimum standard to promote collaboration and code exchange. To give an example: I have been including a patch in my distribution, but the discussions around this patch are mostly in Japanese, including the change log. It has been difficult for me to deal with updates, since I can't read the change log. If people publish sources with documentation in Japanese, that practically contravenes some very basic ideas of the GPL.