Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 09:18:33 +0100

Jan Djärv wrote:
> We don't need that.  Translators are organized in teams, and everything uses
> gettext.  We do not want a different mechanism here.  Many translators
> translates programs they very rarely, if ever, use.  It would be a mistake to
> not use gettext.

I disagree. It is a mistake to use any system that requires code to be
modified to fit with its conventions before translation can occur. We
cannot guarantee that maintainers of external lisp packages will do the
work that is required. Since we already have mechanisms in place that
extract doc strings, tooltip text and menu text for display, we should
add the necessary hooks at that point to provide translations transparently.