Re: tramp no longer recognizes when remote files changed

From: Sascha Wilde
Subject: Re: tramp no longer recognizes when remote files changed
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:02:25 +0200

Michael Albinus <address@hidden> wrote:
> Sascha Wilde <address@hidden> writes:
>>   foo changed on disk; really edit the buffer? (y, n, r or C-h)
>>
>> This extremely useful feature used to work with tramp and remote
>> files, too.  Now some time (days?) ago it stopped working,
[...]

> That's the price ...
>
> Tramp 2.1, brought to Emacs trunk some weeks ago, caches file
> information in order to speed up.

Yes, I recognized the, sometimes tremendous speed up, and indeed it
made me happy -- but if _this_ is the price, it is much to high (IMO).

I often remotely edit files which intentionally change outside Emacs,
and the risk of loosing data with the new tramp version is high and a
major step backwards compared to the situation before.

[...]
> Maybe one could introduce an option whether such caches shall be used,
> or not.

Yes, I would highly appreciate that!

I don't know, but I would guess that some of the optimization could be
even kept.  For example when opening an remote file for the first time
the new version is much faster, and at this point of time no
changes would be needed to satisfy my needs, right?

Cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde
... mein Opa [...]  würde an dieser Stelle zu Dir sagen: Junge, such Dir