Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 23:12:26 +0900

On 27 juil. 07, at 22:42, David Kastrup wrote:

Jean-Christophe Helary <address@hidden> writes:

On 27 juil. 07, at 20:59, Jason Rumney wrote:

Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

I am not dismissing gettext.

I am saying that an elisp system to localize the elisp "part" of
emacs will also be useful for the localization of other elisp
systems. What needs to be done with gettext (the primitives parts)
should be done with gettext.

Other elisp systems?  Reminds me of the story of a linguist
researching some island dialect, who had to wrap up his work before
the single person still speaking it was gone.  And one nagging doubt
was that he suspected his sole study subject to speak the language
incorrectly.

Are there any other systems speaking Elisp?

You misunderstood what I wrote.

I see emacs as an elisp environment. Seeing elisp code as emacs extensions is one way to conceptualize that. Seeing elisp code as systems that run in emacs is a different way to see that.

When I use nxml, I consider I run an XML editing software within emacs.

That is what I mean by "elisp systems".

If elisp code is written to localize elisp code, I think it will be a giant step forward: we'll have a full (hopefully) computer aided translation tool available directly from emacs !!! This would be fantastic !

Jean-Christophe Helary