Re: Fwd: A system for localizing documentation strings

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Fwd: A system for localizing documentation strings
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 16:18:39 +0100

Jan Djärv wrote:
> Strings can be read into emacs, like the ones from the DOC file and
> then passed to the gettext functions to be translated.
It seems a little wasteful to me, to read a string from one docfile just
so we can look it up in another. Why not look it up the doc we want
directly? I don't think we should constrain ourselves with gettext when
it is not the best design for our purpose. Neither the end-users nor
translators care what is under the hood.