Re: On desktop loking

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: On desktop loking
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 00:18:10 +0200

On 7/27/07, Angelo Graziosi <address@hidden> wrote:

> This does not look as a solution ("Do not eat, you beacome fat!").

You could try looking at desktop.el. Perhaps you'd find
`desktop-load-locked-desktop', which, if set to t, will
unconditionally load the desktop file.

> I confirm it is very, very annoying!

I find much more annoying to accidentally destroy a desktop used by
other instance of Emacs just because I didn't realize I already had an
Emacs running...

> Suppose that the system crashes, the '.emacs.desktop.lock' is not deleted
> and you have to restart the PC and emacs: it says
>
>    'Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID...'
>
> but it is the firt tipe you starts emacs! there are not processes using
> the desktop file!

No, but there's a file that says to Emacs that an Emacs instance
identified by PID was using the desktop. It is normal procedure for
your system to crash, or are you complaining because of the
possibility of it happening and Emacs asking you about it?

> Is this a clean logic?

Yes, I think so. And Davis Herring, who designed the feature, surely
agrees with me...

> It is my opinion that there is something of 'illogic' in this.

When Emacs finds the desktop locked, does it not ask you about reusing
it nonetheless?

Could you please describe as accurately as possible the use case
that's causing you trouble?

             Juanma