Re: vc-dired

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: vc-dired
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 10:02:18 +0200

Masatake YAMATO <address@hidden> writes:

>> I would go even farther, IMVHO the "dired" part of the interface for
>> vc-dired is not that useful: the 4 top-level menu entries are not very
>> useful in the VC context, there's no top level menu for VC operations
>> and the files not under VC are not shown by default (it would be good
>> to see them so they can be vc-registered if desired).
>> It seems to me that a cvs-status like UI would be preferable to
>> vc-dired.
>
> Here is the first very small patch.
> Do you think menu item "Version Control" is too long?
> "VC" is better?

"VC" is not an established acronym (see the long list at
<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VC>).  "VCS"
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VCS> and "SCM"
<URL:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scm> at least get mentioned.  The
latter is probably the most widely used one, though it can be confused
with Scheme or a particular interpreter of it.

Short of an acronym, "Versioning" or "Version" might be possible.  For
registered files, using the version control system name itself might
be the way to go.