Re: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 12:44:02 -0400

    The name `initial-buffer' means what the current buffer the user gets
    after startup: a buffer with the home directory, a buffer with some
    specified file, the *scratch* buffer, or the buffer with startup screen.

    I don't see a better name.  Maybe, `initial-display-buffer' or
    `initial-current-buffer'?

Those names are no better.  The problem is in the word "buffer".  The
value is never a buffer.

    >>     > !           (const     :tag "*scratch* buffer" :value "*scratch*")
    >>     > !           (const     :tag "Splash screen"    nil))
    >>
    >> That variable name is misleading because the value is not a buffer.
    >> Please change the variable name to one that fits the meaning.
    >
    > The name `initial-buffer' means what the current buffer the user gets
    > after startup: a buffer with the home directory, a buffer with some
    > specified file, the *scratch* buffer, or the buffer with startup screen.
    >
    > I don't see a better name.  Maybe, `initial-display-buffer' or
    > `initial-current-buffer'?

    initial-visit maybe?  Actually, "*scratch*" is a value with a
    different logic, so one should perhaps explain what makes it special.
    I could not guess, for example, what "*Messages*" would do here.

It should treat all strings alike -- as file names.
The value that means "scratch buffer" should not be a string.

Here's an idea: if the value is a non-nil symbol, create a buffer called
`*scratch*' and put it in that mode.  Thus, the value that stands
for the current scratch buffer would be `lisp-interaction-mode'.