Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)

From: Jean-Christophe Helary
Subject: Re: Summary (Re: A system for localizing documentation strings)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 02:04:43 +0900

On 31 juil. 07, at 01:43, Richard Stallman wrote:

In concrete terms it means that if the locale language in English and
    the elisp code documentation is in English elisp-mode will display
    the English documentation.

Do you mean the major mode, Lisp mode?

This is what I mean.

If the locale language is Japanese and the elisp code documentation
    is in Japanese or in English but with a Japanese translation
    available then elisp-mode will display the Japanese.

Do you mean that the translated documentation strings would
appear in the Lisp source files in place of the actual doc
string text?

This is what I mean.

If so, what would it do if you try to edit the file?

The edit would modify the file.

If the documentation had been in the oiginal English then an edit would modify that original English. If the displayed documentation were to be the Japanese string, then the Japanese data would be edited (to eventually be later saved).

Although I am sure I don't understand all the implications of what I just wrote and all the implication of using gettext for the whole localization process, my impression is that by using the compiled data provided by gettext we considerably limit ourselves regarding how much flexibility we can have with the textual data provided by the translations.

This is one of the reason why at first I imagined a kind of specialized "code folding" device to display only the locale relevant translated documentation strings.

Jean-Christophe Helary