GIT uppercase annoying

From: Miles Bader
Subject: GIT uppercase annoying
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 06:50:24 +0900

Hi,

The vc-handled-backends entry for git and other new backends are ALL
UPPERCASE, which seems rather at odds with the way I've seen their names
used generally (I know historical entries like CVS and RCS are
uppercase, but they're traditinally _always_ written that way).

It may seem like a minor point, but this name is _constantly_ visible
because it's used for the mode-line display of files under version
control; while visiting files handled by git, in particular, I've found
this quite distracting (whereas I don't notice for files in CVS, becasue
I'm so used to uppercase "CVS").  Git doesn't really stand for anything,
and is most commonly used like a word, not an acronym; I gather the same
is true of systems like Bzr though I have less familiarity with them.

The current "all uppercase" nature of vc-handled-backends seems mostly
like people just copied the casification of the older entries when
adding new ones, but I'd really like to quash this trend and use a less
annoying convention for backends where that is more natural.

Thanks,

-Miles

--
Freedom's just another word, for nothing left to lose   --Janis Joplin