Re: emacs-unicode-2 bootstrap on FreeBSD (temacs coredump)

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: emacs-unicode-2 bootstrap on FreeBSD (temacs coredump)
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 11:20:26 +0200

YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu skrev:

A comment in src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c (FreeBSD Current) says:

/*
 * Mutexes based on spinlocks.  We can't use normal pthread mutexes, because
 * they require malloc()ed memory.
 */

So it seems to be impossible to make src/gmalloc.c thread-safe only
using pthread mutexes.

Totally thread safe is impossible, but for Emacs we don't need that. It should be OK to initialize gmalloc in a non-thread safe way because it is done in main (or possibly before) before any threads are created.

I'm not sure if spinlocks are open to user applications, but anyway it
would be simpler to define SYSTEM_MALLOC when HAVE_GTK_AND_PTHREAD &&
!DOUG_LEA_MALLOC, and abandon emacs_blocked_malloc etc. on such
platforms.  I don't care if my changes made to src/gmalloc.c for
thread-safety is reverted.

That is always a possibility.  I'll look into both.

        Jan D.