Re: emacs-unicode-2 bootstrap on FreeBSD (temacs coredump)

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: emacs-unicode-2 bootstrap on FreeBSD (temacs coredump)
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 18:35:40 +0900

> YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu skrev:

>> A comment in src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c (FreeBSD Current) says:
>>
>> /* * Mutexes based on spinlocks.  We can't use normal pthread
>> mutexes, because * they require malloc()ed memory.  */
>>
>> So it seems to be impossible to make src/gmalloc.c thread-safe only
>> using pthread mutexes.

> Totally thread safe is impossible, but for Emacs we don't need that.
> It should be OK to initialize gmalloc in a non-thread safe way
> because it is done in main (or possibly before) before any threads
> are created.

I didn't mean the initialization problem with respect to pthread_once.
The followup report shows that there's another infinite recursion like
pthread_mutex_lock -> -> malloc -> -> pthread_mutex_lock -> ... when a
certain (statically initialized) mutex is used first.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden