RE: Scratch buffer annoyance

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Scratch buffer annoyance
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 07:32:44 -0700

> > If the string value of the option names a file or directory, then
> > visit it.
>
> You mean, if the name is "*scratch*" and in the current directory
> at the time the desktop finished loading, there exists a file named
> "*scratch*", this should be visited?

So require the file and directory names to be absolute names.

> And if the current directory at the time of the startup happens to be
> "/address@hidden:/home/g/gnudist" because there was the last
> file loaded, then it should go through a remote connection and check
> for the existence of "*scratch*" there?

Require an absolute file name.

[Or tell users that they take a chance if they use a relative name.]

> > > ...any number of buffers might be loaded already...
> >
> > If not, and if the value names one of those numerous buffers "loaded
> > already" (do we "load" buffers, BTW?),
>
> No.  Files are visited by loading them into buffers.

See how easy it is to use terms loosely? I said "visit" a buffer; you said
"load" a buffer. Let us both do penance ;-).

> > then display and select it. If not, and the value is a string,
> > create, display, and select a buffer with that name.
> >
> >> Those numbers in general _don't_ have a buffer name corresponding to an
> >> actual complete file name (there certainly won't be a buffer named ~/
> >> even if ~/ is already visited at the time the splash screen might get
> >> displayed).
> >
> > And? If the string value is "~/", then visit the home directory.
>
> You have provided no coherent logic that would have this effect
> without a lot of drawbacks.

Don't know what that means. What is the problem with interpreting "~/" as an
absolute directory name (after expansion of `~')? Please elaborate on "a lot
of drawbacks".

> > If the string names an existing buffer, then display and select it;
> > if not, create, display, and select a buffer with that name. Why
> > would such a buffer need to "have a buffer name corresponding to an
> > actual complete file name"?
>
> Because visiting a random file depending on just where we are at
> startup is not useful behavior.

It's not random if its address is provided by the user as the option value.