Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame

From: Phillip Susi
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Make emacsclient act as a new frame
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2007 12:14:47 -0400

Yea, I don't want to open a new frame in X, I want the emacsclient to BE the new frame. In other words, when I run crontab -e in an xterm I want to edit the crontab in that xterm, not tab to the emacs window while the xterm appears, for all intents and purposes, to be hung.

dhruva wrote:
Not sure if I understand you correctly... If you want to edit a file
in a new frame other than the primary Emacs frame, you could use the
following syntax:
$ emacsclient -n -e "(find-file-other-frame \"~/_emacs\")"
The stuff between \"...\" could be a command line variable if you set
is as a SHELL alias (or doskey macro).
The above command creates a new frame and opens the file in the new
frame. The command line does not wait till you complete the editing
and closing of the file.

-dky