Re: next-error-find-buffer

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: next-error-find-buffer
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 21:19:50 +0300

> My original suggestion to fix number 2 was to introduce a new variable
> next-error-last-source-buffer which is set to the last source buffer visited
> by next-error.  Then C-x ` would ignore current-buffer (and obey
> next-error-last-buffer instead) if the current buffer is equal to
> next-error-last-source-buffer: in the example problem, the C-x ` that puts
> me in the patch file would set next-error-last-source-buffer to that patch
> file buffer so hitting C-x ` in that patch file buffer would correctly
> ignore the patch file buffer and use the compilation buffer instead.
>
> Any objection to the patch below?

Perhaps a new variable next-error-last-source-buffer should be buffer-local.
I imagine such a test case: C-x ` on a grep buffer visits the patch file,
then in another frame on another grep buffer C-x ` visits its own patch file,
then I switch back to the first patch file, type C-x `, and it will fail
to visit the next grep hit from the first grep buffer, because the
global next-error-last-source-buffer is set now to the second patch
buffer from the second grep buffer.

Please note that I concluded this outcome only by looking at your patch.
I will try it for a few days to see how well it works in different cases.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/