Patch to term.el

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Patch to term.el
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 09:31:29 -0400

Would someone please install this patch (a tiny change)
in Emacs 22?  It is a tiny change.

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:22:56 -0700 (PDT)
From: Peter Povinec <address@hidden>
To: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Setting term-default-fg-color/term-default-bg-color has no
        effect
Sender: address@hidden

> Can you please describe exactly what are you doing and how? How did
> you test your patch?

The basic idea is the same as it was in Emacs 21.  Take the user preferences
in terms of fg/bg colors as stored in term-default-fg-color and
term-default-bg-color and apply them consistently every time term-current-face
is set.  This is done for the initial value of term-current-face, when the
terminal is reset in term-reset-terminal, and when the escape sequences
setting the default fg/bg colors are interpreted in term-handle-color-array.
Note that this was partially done already in term-handle-color-array, e.g. in
the case of  setting reverse+invisible.

For the testing, I've tested with my color customizations, including colored
terminal prompt in csh.  I verified the reverse video logic by running 'top'
and 'emacs -nw' inside an ansi-term, both with my customizations, and plain
emacs.  Customizations to term-default-fg-color or term-default-bg-color while
one or more term sessions are running take effect as expected, e.g. by running
'reset'.

>   >
>   > ! (defcustom term-default-fg-color (face-foreground term-current-face)
>   >     "Default color for foreground in `term'."
>   >     :group 'term
>   >     :type 'string)
>   >
>   > ! (defcustom term-default-bg-color (face-background term-current-face)
>   >     "Default color for background in `term'."
>   >     :group 'term
>   >     :type 'string)
>
> This can't be right, term-current-face is nil when term.el is
> loaded...

See line 462 (in revision 1.89):
(defvar term-current-face 'default)

I'd agree the code would be easier to read if this line was moved, but as I
mentioned I didn't want to do any unnecessary changes to keep this a tiny
patch.

>   > + ;;; Start with requested fg/bg.
>   > + (setq term-current-face (list :background term-default-bg-color
>   > +                               :foreground term-default-fg-color))
>
> We don't want forms that have side effects at the top level...

Moved to (term-mode) now.

The updated patch is below.
HTH,
--Peter

2007-07-23  Peter Povinec  <ppovinec <at> yahoo.com>

        * term.el: Honor term-default-fg-color and term-default-bg-color
        settings when modifying term-current-face.
        (term-default-fg-color, term-default-bg-color): initialized from
        default term-current-face
        (term-mode, term-reset-terminal): set term-current-face with
        term-default-fg-color and term-default-bg-color
        (term-handle-colors-array): term-current-face has term-default-fg-color
        and term-default-bg-color after reset escape sequence
        (term-handle-colors-array): set term-current-color with
        term-default-fg/bg-color instead of ansi-term-color-vector when the
        index (term-ansi-current-color or term-ansi-current-bg-color) is zero

*** /home/ppovinec/term.el.orig 2007-06-24 01:04:07.298996000 -0700
--- /home/ppovinec/term.el      2007-07-23 12:18:01.418489000 -0700
***************
*** 695,706 ****

  ;;; faces -mm

! (defcustom term-default-fg-color 'unspecified
    "Default color for foreground in `term'."
    :group 'term
    :type 'string)

! (defcustom term-default-bg-color 'unspecified
    "Default color for background in `term'."
    :group 'term
    :type 'string)
--- 695,706 ----

  ;;; faces -mm

! (defcustom term-default-fg-color (face-foreground term-current-face)
    "Default color for foreground in `term'."
    :group 'term
    :type 'string)

! (defcustom term-default-bg-color (face-background term-current-face)
    "Default color for background in `term'."
    :group 'term
    :type 'string)
***************
*** 1098,1103 ****
--- 1098,1105 ----
    (make-local-variable 'term-pending-delete-marker)
    (setq term-pending-delete-marker (make-marker))
    (make-local-variable 'term-current-face)
+   (setq term-current-face (list :background term-default-bg-color
+                                 :foreground term-default-fg-color))
    (make-local-variable 'term-pending-frame)
    (setq term-pending-frame nil)
    ;; Cua-mode's keybindings interfere with the term keybindings, disable it.
***************
*** 3055,3061 ****
    (setq term-scroll-start 0)
    (setq term-scroll-end term-height)
    (setq term-insert-mode nil)
!   (setq term-current-face nil)
    (setq term-ansi-current-underline nil)
    (setq term-ansi-current-bold nil)
    (setq term-ansi-current-reverse nil)
--- 3057,3064 ----
    (setq term-scroll-start 0)
    (setq term-scroll-end term-height)
    (setq term-insert-mode nil)
!   (setq term-current-face (list :background term-default-bg-color
!                                 :foreground term-default-fg-color))
    (setq term-ansi-current-underline nil)
    (setq term-ansi-current-bold nil)
    (setq term-ansi-current-reverse nil)
***************
*** 3117,3123 ****

  ;;; 0 (Reset) or unknown (reset anyway)
     (t
--- 3120,3127 ----

  ;;; 0 (Reset) or unknown (reset anyway)
     (t
!     (setq term-current-face (list :background term-default-bg-color
!                                   :foreground term-default-fg-color))
      (setq term-ansi-current-underline nil)
      (setq term-ansi-current-bold nil)
      (setq term-ansi-current-reverse nil)
***************
*** 3154,3164 ****
            (setq term-current-face
                  (list :background
                        (if (= term-ansi-current-color 0)
!                           (face-foreground 'default)
                          (elt ansi-term-color-vector term-ansi-current-color))
                        :foreground
                        (if (= term-ansi-current-bg-color 0)
!                           (face-background 'default)
                          (elt ansi-term-color-vector
term-ansi-current-bg-color))))
            (when term-ansi-current-bold
              (setq term-current-face
--- 3158,3168 ----
            (setq term-current-face
                  (list :background
                        (if (= term-ansi-current-color 0)
!                           term-default-fg-color
                          (elt ansi-term-color-vector term-ansi-current-color))
                        :foreground
                        (if (= term-ansi-current-bg-color 0)
!                           term-default-bg-color
                          (elt ansi-term-color-vector
term-ansi-current-bg-color))))
            (when term-ansi-current-bold
              (setq term-current-face
***************
*** 3181,3189 ****
                  )
          (setq term-current-face
                (list :foreground
!                     (elt ansi-term-color-vector term-ansi-current-color)
                      :background
                      (elt ansi-term-color-vector term-ansi-current-bg-color)))
          (when term-ansi-current-bold
            (setq term-current-face
                  (append '(:weight bold) term-current-face)))
--- 3185,3198 ----
                  )
          (setq term-current-face
                (list :foreground
!                       (if (= term-ansi-current-color 0)
!                           term-default-fg-color
!                         (elt ansi-term-color-vector
term-ansi-current-color))
                      :background
+                       (if (= term-ansi-current-bg-color 0)
+                           term-default-bg-color
                      (elt ansi-term-color-vector term-ansi-current-bg-color)))