Re: typo in accept-process-output (process.c)

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: typo in accept-process-output (process.c)
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 16:01:16 -0400

David Kastrup wrote:

>> -Return non-nil iff we received any output before the timeout expired.  */)
>> +Return non-nil if we received any output before the timeout expired.  */)
>>       (process, seconds, millisec, just_this_one)
>>       register Lisp_Object process, seconds, millisec, just_this_one;
>
> That is not a typo.

It is, however, a deprecated usage that consistently confuses people,
exactly as it has done here.

This motivates me to tackle the TODO item to get rid of the "iff"s.

So the job only has to be done once, what replacement will people be
happy with? Personally, I think plain "if" would be just fine, except
perhaps to the tediously literal-minded. Failing that, "only if".
As a last resort, "if and only if" (yuck).