I want to integrate serial port access in Emacs

From: Daniel Engeler
Subject: I want to integrate serial port access in Emacs
Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 12:23:38 +0200

I want to access a serial port from Emacs, without any other tools,
something like:

(let (x (serial-open "/dev/ttyS0" 9600))
  (serial-write x "hello")
  (message (serial-read x 10)))

Does this exist already? If not, I would like to integrate it. I think
this requires changing the C sources of Emacs.

I have experience with Unix serial port programming and Emacs Lisp, so
Emacs on Unix would be my first goal. Windows should follow too, such
that we have a platform-independent layer in Lisp.

Please tell me your comments.

Daniel Engeler

(This message was posted to comp.emacs yesterday, then referred to
this mailing list)