Doc-string and default of ps-font-size

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: Doc-string and default of ps-font-size
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 22:25:15 +0200

Hello!

In the Emacs 22 branch, ps-font-size is documented like this:

,----[ C-h v ps-font-size ]
| ps-font-size is a variable defined in `ps-print.el'.
| Its value is (7 . 8.5)
|
| Documentation:
| *Font size, in points, for ordinary text, when generating PostScript.
|
| You can customize this variable.
`----

It doesn't explain why there are two values. Clicking on `customize'
does reveal that the first value is for landscape and the second for
portrait mode. Something like that should be added to the doc-string.

But the actual reason why I write is that IMO, the font size should be
the same for both portrait and landscape mode by default. I think the
portrait font size is fine. Like most people (I guess) I usually print
portrait, and when I deliberately decide to print something in
landscape, I expect that it'll look the same, just with longer lines.
I don't expect a smaller font.

Now Emacs is acting too preemptive here and seems to think "whoah,
need to squeeze more on each line because the user requested
landscape". Then user walks to the printer, sees and thinks "D'oh!
Won't be able to read this late at night (or on the bus) because the
font size is smaller than usual."

Regards,

Christian