Re: Recognizing obsolete external package versions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Recognizing obsolete external package versions
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:15:23 -0400

That code seems basically right
except that I would rather it avoid calling eval.
It should give the name of a variable, and the values that are bad.

I think it would be better to check at the beginning of loading the file
rather than at the end.  That is possible by searching for "(defvar VARIABLE",
evaluating the sexp that comes next, and looking at its value.

That would require detecting the file by its name rather than by
a feature it provides.