Re: Recognizing obsolete external package versions

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Recognizing obsolete external package versions
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:50:27 -0400

> I think it would be better to check at the beginning of loading the file
> rather than at the end.

Why would that matter?  The user will have to fetch and install a new
package, maybe tweak her .emacs, ... most likely she'll have plenty of time
and reasons to restart her Emacs process at some point in-between anyway.

> That is possible by searching for "(defvar VARIABLE",
> evaluating the sexp that comes next, and looking at its value.

That sounds like a lot of work for very little benefit: currently files are
loaded by doing an `fopen' and then reading and parsing directly from there,
so it's never put into a buffer where a search could take place.

        Stefan