Re: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 18:27:38 +0100

On 12 Aug 2007, at 11:40, Johan Bockgård wrote:

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:

Usually that means that I have to kill it and start again

C-x C-v

Thanks, useful. The cursor is in an inconvenient place in the minibuffer, though, even though I believe it's intended that way.

But if the same happens to others as well, perhaps a more general
change could make Emacs more convenient in this respect.

find-file-confirm-nonexistent-file

Could be done, but I don't think adding another confirmation step for new files (that are intended to be created) is as good as making the right guess when the user uses completion and confirms an incomplete (i.e. ambiguous) choice. This case may even be universal to all completion-based minibuffer inputs.