RE: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 13:12:35 -0700

> > However, what I think should happen in the case you mention, and what
> > happens by default in Icicles, is that TAB immediately displays
> > *Completions*, which lets you know that completion is
> > incomplete and lets you see the matching candidate names of the
> > existing files.
>
> That doesn't help.  The "TAB RET" sequence is hit much too
> quickly, as a sort of atomic entity.  There's no time for a
> user like me (and apparently David) to adjust things after
> the TAB but before the RET.

If you have a habit of hitting TAB RET, then you are, in effect, expecting
TAB to complete to a complete match, so that RET will open the existing file
whose name matches. With that expectation, incomplete matches throw you off.
In that case, you want TAB to complete only against existing files, no? Then
why not bind `file-file-existing'? That's what it's for.