Re: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: C-x C-f, Tab (in)completion and visiting the wrong, new files
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 21:39:24 +0100

On 12 Aug 2007, at 21:12, Drew Adams wrote:

If you have a habit of hitting TAB RET, then you are, in effect, expecting TAB to complete to a complete match, so that RET will open the existing file whose name matches. With that expectation, incomplete matches throw you off.

Absolutely.

In that case, you want TAB to complete only against existing files, no? Then
why not bind `file-file-existing'? That's what it's for.

I think I suggested this originally. However, this would prevent users from creating new buffers as intended, or it would require us to come up with a new (and short) key combination.

I also thought that the input errors with the incomplete matches may be part of a common pattern that does not just apply to file names. In other completion cases where there is an ambiguity (e.g., M-x tex RET), the input is not accepted, and if there is no ambiguity, the input is autocompleted (e.g., M-x text RET).