Re: Info about available CVS/Arch/Git branches

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: Info about available CVS/Arch/Git branches
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 16:46:01 +0200

address@hidden (Randal L. Schwartz) wrote:
>>> There is a problem with this repo: for some time all commits have been
>>> made to a subdirectory emacs.
>
> Jim> Thanks, I know.
> Jim> I'm working on it now.
>
> Weird.  That was also the breakage on the version I was tracking at repo.or.cz
> (which I ensured was turned off because it was broken and the "maintainer" is
> AWOL).  Were they both from the same source, or both broken in the same way
> because of problems with cvs2git?

I don't use cvs2git.  Do you?  Would you recommend it?
git-cvsimport is the basis of my simple scripts.

This may have happened because the repo had denynonfastforwards = false
and because my script tries to work as well with sourceforge-layout
CVS repositories, which lack the extra $module/$module hierarchy
found in the savannah CVS repositories.  An early version may have
failed to adapt and imported both emacs and emacs/emacs.

In any case, I've moved emacs.git aside and re-pushed into a clean
repo, and that has fixed it.

Also, I've found that after running git-cvsimport, sometimes there is no
"master" branch.  I've manually run the few required commands to do what
git-cvsimport should have done.  Haven't yet found time to investigate;
part of the problem is that importing emacs takes several hours, and
it's only at the end that git-cvsimport might be misbehaving.